Auxiliary Communications Service (ACS)
Amateur Radio License Course and Testing
The Amateur Radio Technician License is a 10-hour course held over five weeks designed to teach the necessary basics to obtain a Technician’s License and legally operate a Ham radio per FCC regulations. The Technician License class, which is offered twice a year, is free but there is a $15.00 processing fee is due on the day of the FCC Licensing exam for the exam. A General-level class is held once a year. To learn more about upcoming classes, please visit RCPark.com, check out the current issue of the Grapevine, or on Eventbrite.
Auxiliary Communications Service (ACS) Team
When requested by RCFD, ACS Team members will assist with ReadyRC outreach efforts and help respond to large emergencies and catastrophic disasters by assisting with and providing communication services. These services may include operating portable, mobile and/or base station Amateur and Public Safety radios.
Qualifications To Join the ACS Team
- Must have an Amateur Radio Technician License or Greater
- Must show completion of a 20-hour Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Basic Training Class
- Must complete National Incident Management System (NIMS) training (FREE online courses https://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx):
- Must show completion of CPR/AED/First Aid Certificate (8 hr. Red Cross or American Heart Association)
- Must pass a Department of Justice (DOJ) Live scan background check
- Must take the Disaster Service Worker Loyalty Oath
Attend meetings led by RCFD Emergency Management Division, ACS Team meetings, and various trainings, exercises, and outreach events throughout the year attend. Complete at least 40-volunteer hours a year.
Meeting and Training Times
- The ACS monthly meeting are held on the 2nd Tuesday of every month from 7:00pm to 9:00pm and rotate between the Rancho Cucamonga All Risk Training Center (11285 Jersey Blvd. Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730) and Upland Fire Station 174.
- A weekly radio net is held on Monday evening at 7:00pm.
- ACS Management Meetings led by the RCFD Emergency Management Division are held the 4th Tuesday of every month from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the All Risk Training Center.
- Additional training is conducted quarterly on the 5th Tuesday of the month and scheduled Saturday mornings. There is approximately one planned drill or event per quarter to help sharpen Ham radio skills.
Age 18 years old or older to join the team, but you can be any age to take the Amateur License Exam.
Apply by completing a Volgistics Fire District Volunteer Application.
ACS Event Calendar
For up-to-date ACS events please visit http://www.tricityacs.net/
For More Information
Please contact Beth Ross at (909) 477-3020 or by email at Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org