Information about Restraining Orders

Restraining Orders are court orders that prohibit a specific person or list of persons from abusing, threatening, stalking, or harassing you. If someone has physically abused you; or is threatening, or harassing you, you can contact the Rancho Cucamonga Police at (909) 941-1488 and an officer can come to your residence or workplace in the City of Rancho Cucamonga. A report can be taken if the officer determines a crime has occurred. If you do not wish to be contacted at your place of residence or business, you can also come to the Rancho Cucamonga Police Station to report the incident. If you are in immediate danger call 9-1-1 and attempt to get to a safe location.

There are four categories of restraining orders that are available through the court system in California, they are:

  • Domestic Violence Restraining Order
  • Civil Harassment Restraining Order
  • Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse Restraining Order
  • Workplace Violence Restraining Order

Domestic Violence Restraining Orders

You can attempt to obtain a Domestic Violence Restraining Order if you are the victim of physical abuse, and your abuser is a relative, you have a child together, or you have a current or previous dating/romantic relationship with them.

Civil Harassment Restraining Orders

You can attempt to obtain a Civil Harassment Restraining Order if you being threatened or harassed by a person whom you are not and have never dated and who is not related to you. Civil Harassment Restraining Orders can be used for issues with person's such as: roommates, neighbors, and co-workers.

Elder or Dependent Adult Protective Orders

You can attempt to obtain an Elder or Dependent Adult Protective Order if you are over the age of 65, are 18-64 years of age and have certain disabilities, and you are a victim of physical, financial, or mental abuse, or you have been the victim of neglect or abandonment.

Workplace Violence Restraining Order

You can attempt to obtain a Workplace Violence Restraining Order only if you are an employer, and you wish to protect an employee who has been the victim of abuse at work or who has received threats of physical harm while at the workplace.

To obtain a restraining order contact the Superior Court in your area, or for more detailed information about restraining orders go to the California Court Self-Help Center website's section on "Protection from Abuse".