The house was built in 1874 by Captain Joseph S. Garcia, a retired seaman. The house was sold to Etiwanda founder George B. Chaffey in 1881. On April 24, 1985 the house was relocated to its present site at 7150 Etiwanda and has been restored by the Etiwanda Historical Society. The house was where the first long distance telephone line was installed. The house was also the first to be lit with incandescent lamps using hydroelectric power.