In 1881, George Chaffey Jr. visited California and rode over the Cucamonga Plains area. George and William, his brother, purchased Capt. Joseph Garcia's house and 560 acres of land in 1881. The brothers formed a partnership to subdivide the area into 10 acre agricultural lots. They named the area "Etiwanda" in honor of a Canadian Indian Chief who had been a friend of the family. Chaffey Community College is named after the famous Chaffey family in recognition of their pioneering efforts.