Project Title: Specific Plan Amendment DRC2015-00040 - Empire Lakes/Rancho Cucamonga Industrial Area Specific Plan (IASP) Subarea 18 Specific Plan Amendment (also referred to as the "Empire Lakes Specific Plan Project").
The applicant, SC Rancho Development Corp., an entity of Lewis Operating Corp., submitted this application (and associated applications for a General Plan Amendment, Development Code Amendment, and Development Agreement) on January 8, 2015. The proposed project does not include any applications for physical development and construction within the project site. These applications, such as tentative tract/parcel maps and/or conceptual site and building plans, would be submitted to the City at a later date, and only if the proposed Specific Plan Amendment is approved. These applications will be subject to review by the Planning Commission.
Project Location: The project site is located north of 4th Street, west of Milliken Avenue, east of Cleveland Avenue, and south of 8th Street and the BNSF/Metrolink rail line in the City of Rancho Cucamonga at 11015 6th Street, Rancho Cucamonga (refer to Exhibit 3-1 in the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) for a map of the the local and regional vicinity).
Project Description: The applicant, SC Rancho Development Corp., an entity of Lewis Operating Corp., proposes to amend the “Empire Lakes Specific Plan” in order allow the “redevelopment” with a mixed use project (“Planning Area 1” or “Empire Lakes”). The proposed amendment will:
- Revise/delete existing text and graphics in the Specific Plan that are associated with the Empire Lakes;
- Re-designate Planning Area IA, Planning Area IB, and part of Planning Area III as Planning Area 1 (PA1) (refer to Exhibit 3-2 of the DEIR) ; and
- Incorporate design and technical standards/guidelines into the Specific Plan that will be used to govern the development of Empire Lakes.
Applications for proposed development and construction within the project site, such as tentative tract/parcel maps and/or conceptual site and building plans, have not been submitted to the City. If the proposed amendments associated with the Empire Lakes Project are approved, then these applications would be submitted by the applicant, or other developers, at a future date.
Empire Lakes, as proposed, will be comprised of a combination of high density residential, commercial, and office uses in an “urban” setting. The physical arrangement of the project is intended to reduce reliance on automobiles, and encourage walking, bicycling, and use of mass transit including the Metrolink Station immediately north of the project site.
The proposed number of residential dwelling units in PA1 ranges from a minimum of 2,650 units to a maximum of 3,450 units. These residential units will be a mix of both rental and for sale housing types. Additionally, a maximum of 220,000 square feet of non-residential uses would be allowed in PA1. A network of internal private and public streets will be constructed, and utility infrastructure will be installed to serve the proposed project. According to the proposed, tentative schedule as stated by the applicant, construction of Empire Lakes will take about 8 - 10 years.
Anticipated initial actions required from the City to implement the proposed project include, but are not limited to, the review of the following by the Planning Commission and the City Council:
- Proposed Empire Lakes Specific Plan Amendment (DRC2015-00040) (as described above);
- Proposed General Plan Amendment (DRC2015-00114) to change the land use designation of the property from “Open Space” to “Mixed Use”; and
- Proposed Development Code Amendment (DRC2015-00115) to update text in the Development Code related to the proposed Specific Plan Amendment.
Community Meetings: The applicant conducted a series of four Community Meetings to discuss the proposed project. The first was held on December 10, 2015 at The Courtyard Marriott at 11525 Mission Vista Drive, Rancho Cucamonga. The second, third, and fourth meetings were held on January 14, 21, and 28, 2016 at The Four Points by Sheraton at 11960 Foothill Boulevard, Rancho Cucamonga. The applicant's invitations for these meetings are available for review in the "Documents for Review" section below.
Draft Environmental Impact Report (11/10/2015): A Draft Environmental Impact Report ("Draft EIR" or "DEIR") has been prepared for this project. The Draft EIR was circulated for a minimum 45-day review period on November 10, 2015. The review period commenced on November 10, 2015 and concluded on December 24, 2015. The State Clearinghouse Number is SCH No. 2015041083.
Final Environmental Impact Report (04/01/2016): A Final Environmental Impact Report ("Final EIR" or "FEIR"), including a "Mitigation Monitoring Reporting Program" (MMRP), has been prepared. The City received several comment letters in response to the Draft EIR and prepared a "Response to Comments" that addresses those comments. The Response to Comments is included in the Final EIR.
Copies of the Draft EIR and the Final EIR (and all relevant material, including the project specifications and supporting documents) are available for review by following the links at the bottom of this page and at the following locations:
- The Archibald Library (located at 7368 Archibald Avenue, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 (909) 477-2720);
- The Paul A. Biane Library (located at 12505 Cultural Center Drive, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739 (909) 477-2720); and
- The Planning Department's Public Information Counter at City Hall (located at 10500 Civic Center Drive, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 (909) 477-2750)
Planning Commission (04/13/2016 and 04/27/2016): The
Planning Commission held and concluded a public hearing for this project on
Wednesday, April 13, 2016. The Commission continued its deliberations to
the meeting that was held on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 and, following
the conclusion of their deliberations on that day, adopted
Resolutions recommending to the City Council the following actions:
- Certification of the Final EIR;
- Approval of General Plan Amendment DRC2015-00114;
- Approval of Specific Plan Amendment DRC2015-00040; and
- Approval of Development Code Amendment DRC2015-00115
The Agenda Packets and Staff Reports for the April 13, 2016
and April 27, 2016 Planning Commission meetings are available for review by
following the links at the bottom of this page.
City Council (05/18/2016): The City Council held and concluded a public hearing for the proposed project on Wednesday, May 18, 2016. Following the conclusion of the public hearing, the City Council completed the following actions:
- Certified the Final EIR;
- Approved General Plan Amendment DRC2015-00114;
- Approved Specific Plan Amendment DRC2015-00040;
- Approved Development Code Amendment DRC2015-00115
The Agenda Packet and Staff Report for the May 18, 2016 for the City Council public hearing are available for review by following the links at the bottom of this page.
The project planner is:
City of Rancho Cucamonga
10500 Civic Center Drive
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Mr. Smith may be reached by phone at (909) 477-2750 Ext. 4317, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents for Review (in descending order starting with the most recently uploaded document):