Among the major objectives of the personnel program of the City of Rancho Cucamonga are the effective selection, development and utilization of its human resources. Selection encompasses the assurance of fair and equitable treatment of all persons seeking employment through the merit selection processes of the City. It is the City's policy to recruit the best qualified persons available regardless of race, age, marital status, sex, color, creed, physical disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religious or political affiliation, and other considerations.
The Recruitment and Selection Process
- Job openings are advertised through job announcements or, when appropriate, through newspapers and other publications. Job announcements may be viewed by visiting the City's job opportunities webpage.
- All job applicants will be required to submit an employment application online, on or before the filing deadline stated in the job announcement.
- To qualify for competition in a merit selection process, an applicant must meet the minimum qualifications as stated on the appropriate job announcement.
- Applications submitted on time will be screened to determine if the individual applicant meets the minimum requirements for admission to the selections process as specified in the official job announcement. Those that are deemed to be the best qualified applicants will be invited to the next phase of the selection process.
- The competitive selection process may consist of the measurement of a variety of knowledge and skills through written and/or oral tests (interview panel), work history, experience, training, present job performance and agility, or any combination thereof.
- Each applicant whose application has been accepted for any selection process shall be notified of the date, time, and place of the specific selection process.
- Valid and proven measurement techniques and procedures are used in rating the results of a selection process and in determining relative standings of competitors. The final grade in the selection process will be based on specific factors including educational requirements, experience, and job qualifications.
- Applicants who obtain a passing grade will be placed on an eligibility list in the rank order of their individual scores. Each person competing in an employment selection process will be given notice of the final rating and relative standing on the eligibility list.
- When a vacancy in a specific position occurs, top candidates on the eligibility list will be invited to an interview by the department having the vacancy. The department will make the final selection from among these interviewed. The eligibility list will be kept active for at least six months and may be used to fill future vacancies during that period.
- Prior to employment, the prospective employee will be required to undergo a pre-employment medical exam by a duly licensed physician designated by the City. Depending on the job, this exam may require a drug screening. Candidates must also provide proof of any educational claims. In most cases, a California drivers license and a good driving record is required. Additional vocational licenses may also be required.